7/19/2011

jelly sponsor :: 3 questions for kam shave ice

How's this for an actual edible summer treat? Shave ice, people! Ilima Martinez of Kam Shave Ice is going to share with us her passion, her process and, you guessed it, her shave ice! Come share in the aloha at our friday jelly!


How did you get to where you are now? With a sincere love and yearning for my family's homeland, I knew bringing a piece of Hawai'i to San Diego was something that I would be happy doing in my business. As a long-time hula dancer on the mainland, this is what I'd spent over half of my life doing, now I was able to do it in a different way with Hawaiian Shave Ice. Almost everyone has a favorite story about a trip to Hawai'i and nothing makes me happier than hearing all about it and seeing a customer's excitement as the relive their memories all over again with the simple pleasure known as shave ice.


What's the most fulfilling work experience you've had? Once, a kupuna (elder), born and raised in Hawai'i was so touched when she had our shave ice, it brought tears to her eyes, she gave us honi (kisses),  and a huge hug because she said it brought back her childhood memories of growing up in Hawai'i.


What's the most challenging work experience you've had? It's funny but I have so much fun making and serving shave ice, that I actually forget to ask customers for money. It almost makes me feel guilty to get paid for what I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...